Loving and caring for your teeth.
10 ways you wreck your teeth Part 2
We started this topic, giving you five ways you have been wrecking your teeth. Find below, the remaining five ways.
- Drinking soda: we all take soda because they contain sugar , but the amount of sugar and acid contained in these drinks is quite substantial. The sugar and acid can coat the teeth and erode the enamel.
- Taking Sport drinks: if you think sport drinks are different from soda or soft drinks, you would be wrong. The truth is they both contain acid and sugar. People take sports drink after exercising when their mouths are drier. The bacteria present in the mouth use the sugar as food and create cavities.
- Biting Your Nails: A lot of us are guilty of this. However, this habit causes splinters and cracks in your teeth. Asides that, biting your nails introduce nasty germs in your mouth which can infect your gums and teeth.
- Grinding your teeth: if you grind your teeth while sleeping, you put too much pressure on the jaw as a result of clenching them and stressful situations for the teeth while sleeping. Try to relax often or you can get a night guard to protect your teeth if you grind them while sleeping.
- Cough drops/Lozenges: Just because your doctor prescribed a cough syrup for your or that you go to a pharmacy does not make it completely healthy for your teeth. Most of them are loaded with sugar. So after using the lozenges or the cough syrup make sure you brush your teeth well. The sugar in the cough syrup or lozenges reacts with the sticky plaque that coats the teeth . Then bacteria in the plaque convert the sugar into an acid that eats away at tooth enamel.